FBK is a private research institution devoted to excellence in research in numerous disciplines and designated to the role of keeping the Autonomous Province of Trento in the mainstream of European and international research. Each research area is assigned to a specific research center, of which there are eleven totals. Information regarding the research centers, their activities and production is available at http://www.fbk.eu/research-centers.
In particular, the FBK Center for Sensors and Devices (FBK-SD) (https://www.fbk.eu/en/sensors-devices/) is an applied research center that operates in the following scientific and technological areas: quantum technologies, detectors, microsystems and integrated systems. The FBK-SD has extremely advanced technical know-how in innovative devices design and fabrication technologies as well as in the system integration. The strategic mission of the FBK-SD is scientific excellence combined with the ability to exploit research results. The innovation model is open to collaboration in national and international expertise networks.
The purpose of FBK’s Tenure Track program is to offer high level professionals the opportunity of pursuing a structured career path in order to become tenured researchers and contribute to the long-term strategy of the organization. Within this framework, FBK-SD is looking for a dynamic, highly motivated, independent researcher in the field of sensor technologies and MEMS.
More specifically, the candidate will be working in the Microsystems Technologies Group (MST), in the Sensors & Actuators and Life Science application areas. The MST Group uses standard semiconductor wafer fabrication equipment to prototype innovative devices based on various technologies modules covering applications areas from:
- MEMS/BioMEMS components, which can be used in different areas of biomedicine (e.g. bioanalytical and microfluidic devices for Cell-on-Chip and Point-of-Care-devices, wearable sensors);
- space and telecommunications (e.g. nano-g accelerometers, RFMEMS);
- industrial automation (e.g. force, stress sensors, RFID).
The candidate will develop modelling, designs and manufacturing processes for typically MEMS-based systems and sensors towards high technology readiness levels (TRLs) within FBK-SD. In this role the researcher will have access to competent technical and infrastructural support and the opportunity to evolve a multi-faceted skill set in an environment where they closely collaborate with world-class research organizations as well as industries.
Expertise on innovative devices and micro/nanotechnologies is important for identifying the technological orientation and future challenges of microsystems and MEMS/NEMS.
For this reason, the ideal candidate would have theoretical knowledge and an experimental background in the field of MEMS/sensors design, modelling and micro-fabrication technologies. Previous experience in at least one of these areas is a must and experience in more than one would be an additional advantage.
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed to promoting gender equ.ality
The successful candidate will work within the Microsystems Technologies research unit (MST) of the FBK-Sensors and Devices center and her/his responsibilities will include:
a) Device design
a. Accurate devices simulations (e.g. by COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS Multiphysics, Ansys-HFS, Advanced Design System (ADS), Synopsys) electromagnetic and/or electromechanics modelling.
b. Layout of the devices (e.g. by L-Edit, Cadence)
b) Fabrication of the devices, including:
a. Processing step preparation for optimised manufacturing
b. Careful optimisation and correction of every processing step
c. Organisation of the clean room operations
c) Process characterization
a. Control measurements during the fabrication process flow
b. Data analysis
d) Packaging, deployment and functional testing
The Ideal candidate should have
- Master degree in Electronics Engineering, Materials Science, Microelectronics or equivalent.
- PhD degree in Electronics Engineering, Materials Science, Microelectronics or equivalent experience.
- At least 3 years of experience in the field of design and modelling of MEMS or microfabricated sensors.
- Knowledge of the fabrication techniques and clean room processes, namely silicon fabrication technology and previous experience of device characterization and deployment in experiments.
- Experience with the functional characterization of the devices (electrical measurements).
- Experience in working in a research and development environment involving early prototype development with subsequent transfer to product development.
- Experience in building system demonstrators.
- Since the candidate will be working in a highly international environment and will be maintaining good contact with colleagues and co-workers from all over the world, fluency in English is essential.
In particular, the following specific experience are preferable:
- Good publication track record in the field of the proposal position.
- Good team working and the ability to progress on many tasks in parallel.
- Good self-organization and autonomous operation.
- Experience in working for research projects and industrial commitments.
Type of contract: Tenure Track contract, leading to an FBK 3rd Level Researcher (R3) permanent contract.
Duration: The maximum duration of the Tenure Track contract is up to 5 years (which may be reduced depending on the assessment by the Committee of the candidate’s capacities and skills). If the final assessment of the Tenure Track experience is positive, the selected candidate for the tenure track position will be offered a permanent full-time contract.
Gross annual salary: about 39.300 €, plus objectives achievement bonus.
Work hours: full time (38 h per week)
Start date: February 2023
Workplace: Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security, etc., training courses, reduced bank account opening fees, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at www.welfarefbk.info.
Candidates are required to submit their applications by filling in the webform available at https://jobs.fbk.eu/.
Please ensure that your application includes the following attachments (.pdf format):
- Detailed CV including a publications list
- Cover Letter (explaining your motivation for this specific position)
- Statement of Research Interests
- A list of three professional references (e-mails and phone numbers)
Application deadline: 9 January 2023
Please read our Regulations “Guidelines for Tenure Track positions” and Tenure Track FAQ before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at email@example.com.