The Digital Industry Center is one of the Centers of the Bruno Kessler Foundation (FBK). It focuses its research on digital technologies for the various domains in industry (e.g., manufacturing, aerospace, railway, automotive, energy, agriculture, manufacturing) by creating applications for critical systems, adaptive and autonomous systems, advanced perception, diagnostics, quality control and prediction systems. Further research areas include precision farming, robotics, metrology, cultural heritage and geomatics.
The OpenIoT Research Unit focuses its research activities on gaining leading knowledge and supporting the design and creation of innovative, standard-based and interoperable IoT-based solutions. The unit’s main competences cover enabling technologies for the IoT and developing cutting-edge tools, infrastructural solutions and related reference architectural models, at the device, edge and cloud levels. By using cutting-edge AI-based methodologies, the final objective is to make these devices self-configurable, more autonomous and thus enduring. In particular, research activities focus on the following research topics: (1) Fog/Edge-based IoT services, platforms and infrastructures; (2) Edge analytics through adaptation of AI techniques to embedded devices; (3) IoT Decentralization through Blockchains. Such research and knowledge is complemented by hands-on competences in relevant application domains and novel use cases, such as precision agriculture and industrial IoT.
More information about the OpenIoT Unit is available at https://openiot.fbk.eu/
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed to promoting gender equality.
The OpenIoT RU is searching for a robotics research and development engineer that will work in the scope of various research and industrial projects on Machine Learning-based perception and navigation of Autonomous Mobile Robots (AMRs) in outdoor settings using the ROS/ROS2 framework. The engineer will work in close collaboration with the existing team of researchers, research engineers, and developers of the RU to strengthen the scientific research activities in cloud/edge/fog computing and IoT for the Digital Agriculture and Industrial IoT domains.
The successful candidate is expected to contribute to the following tasks:
- designing, coding, documenting, and debugging software using different technologies in a small development team;
- modular integration of IoT sensors and devices endowed with ML-based detection and recognition capabilities for mobile robotic sensing platform;
- develop software modules for obstacle detection and tracking, context perception, planning and navigation techniques taking into account, for instance, payload, map, remaining battery lifetime, location, and risk indicators;
- distributed/local AMR local re-planning techniques and (meta-) heuristic methodologies.
The Ideal Candidate should have:
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Industrial engineering, Mathematics, or related fields;
- at least 3 years (or more) of professional experience in the development of robotic solutions;
- prior knowledge of software development in ROS/ROS2 and nice-to-have experience with the Gazebo simulator;
- experience with software versioning systems (e.g. Git) and good understanding of TDD, CI, and CD tools and best practices;
- motivation in the development of research activities;
- good communication and relational skills;
- good knowledge of written and spoken English.
Furthermore, the following elements will be positively evaluated:
- Ph.D. in Computer Science or related fields;
- Scientific publications in international conferences and journals.
Type of contract: fixed term contract
Working hours: full-time (38 hours per week)
Duration: 24 months
Start date: January 2023
Gross annual salary: about 39.530 €
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security (SANIFONDS), family-work balance, free training courses, support on bank account opening, discount on public transport, sport, language course fees. More info at https://www.fbk.eu/en/work-with-us/
Workplace: Povo, Trento (Italy)
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by completing the online form (https://hr.fbk.eu/en/jobs). Please make sure that your application contains the following attachments (in pdf format):
- detailed CV;
- cover letter indicating why the candidate is suitable for this position.
Application deadline: 11 December 2022
Please read our Regulations on the recruitment and selection of fixed-term personnel (effective from October 15, 2018) before completing your application.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at email@example.com.