The FBK Center for Sensors and Devices (FBK-SD) (https://www.fbk.eu/en/sensors-devices/) is an applied research center that operates in the following scientific and technological areas: quantum technologies, detectors, microsystems and integrated systems. The FBK-SD has extremely advanced technical know-how in innovative devices design and fabrication technologies as well as in system integration. The strategic mission of the FBK-SD is scientific excellence combined with the ability to exploit research results. The innovation model is open to collaboration in national and international expertise networks.
IRIS Research Unit carries out R&D activities on advanced readout ASICs and image sensors fabricated within standard CMOS technologies. The main research activities of the group are on the design and characterization and integration into compact modules of advanced image sensors and readout circuits for radiation detectors.
More information about IRIS is available at https://sd.fbk.eu/en/research/research-units/iris/.
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed to promoting gender equality.
FBK-SD is looking for a dynamic, highly motivated, independent researcher in the field of CMOS Image Sensors (CIS) and Readout Integrated Circuits (ROIC) for radiation detectors.
More specifically, the candidate will work in the Integrated Readout ASICs and Image Sensors (IRIS) Research Unit, whose main expertise is the design of analog/mixed-signal integrated circuits. IRIS develops single-photon image sensors and quantum random number generators, vision sensors, terahertz imagers, monolithic active pixel sensors and ROICs employing state-of-the-art CMOS standard technology. The fabricated devices (manufactured in external foundries) are then tested and fully characterized by the researchers in the lab, and eventually integrated into modules for early prototyping. Applications areas include:
- Quantum Science and Technology
- Automated Industry
- Bio-/Medical Imaging
- Space Science and Technology
The selected candidate will perform research and development (R&D) activity in the field of CMOS image sensors and ROICs towards high technology readiness levels (TRLs), within the framework of national and European research projects and industrial collaborations.
The candidate is expected to participate to the entire development flow in a cooperative and structured team, starting from the modeling of the detector to the definition of the sensor architecture, from the design and simulations of the photon-detecting devices and the circuit schematics to the chip layout, and finally taking care of the electrical and functional characterization of the fabricated devices up to the module level.
To this end, the candidate will have access to state-of-the-art software tools and dedicated laboratories for functional verification and electro-optical characterization, making use of laser sources when required.
The activities will be carried out in collaboration with other technologists and researchers of the team, and it will be requested to actively participate to meetings with project partners, to raise the interest of students willing to be engaged in a research experience within FBK-SD (internships, Bachelor and Master thesis projects), to act a as a mentor for PhD students, and to proactively acquire responsibilities in the coordination of projects.
The successful candidate will work within the IRIS research unit of the FBK-SD center and her/his responsibilities will include one or more of the following tasks:
- Analog/Mixed-signal circuit design.
- Schematics, simulations, layout and post—layout simulations using Cadence and Mentor tools.
- Test and electro-optical characterization of the fabricated integrated circuits.
- Device design (photodiodes, single-photon avalanche diodes, antenna-coupled FET detectors, …).
- Device engineering and simulation using TCAD tools.
- Device layout.
- Test and electro-optical characterization of fabricated devices.
- System integration using microcontrollers units (MCU) and field programmable gate arrays (FPGA).
- Module design (electronics, optics, software).
- Firmware design and validation.
- Software design for module control and data transfer, processing and visualization.
- Module integration in system prototypes and experimental laboratory setups.
- Mentoring undergraduate and graduate students.
- Project coordination.
The Ideal candidate should have:
- Master’s degree in Electronics, Telecommunication Engineering, ICT, Physics or equivalent;
- Strong background on electronics design;
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written);
- Effective teamwork attitude;
- Capability of independently carrying out assigned tasks;
- Enthusiastic attitude to research activity.
- PhD in Electronics, Physics or related fields or an equivalent 3 years of research experience;
- Strong background on microelectronics and IC design (focus on analog design flow);
- Good skills on IC design tools (Cadence and/or Mentor Graphics);
- Experience on image sensors design or sensors readout design;
- Experience in device physics/simulation;
- Experience with the functional characterization of the devices (electrical and optical measurements);
- Experience with the use of laser sources;
- Experience in firmware design for MCUs and/or FPGAs (VHDL, Verilog);
- Good software skills on National Instruments LabView and/or Matlab, C++;
- Experience in building system demonstrators;
- Experience in working in a research and development environment involving early prototype development with subsequent transfer to product development;
- Visiting scholarship or experience at international level (≥ 1 year).
Type of contract. Fixed term contract
Duration: 24 months (with the possibility to extend the contract depending on funding)
Gross annual salary: from about € 36.200 to € 41.400, depending on the background of the candidate
Working hours: full time (38 h per week)
Start date: January 2024
Workplace: Povo, Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security, etc., training courses, reduced bank account opening fees, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at www.welfarefbk.info.
Candidates are required to submit their applications by filling in the webform available at https://jobs.fbk.eu/.
Please ensure that your application includes the following attachments (.pdf format):
- Detailed CV
- Cover Letter (explaining your motivation for this specific position)
- Statement of Research Interests
- A list of three professional references (e-mails and phone numbers)
Application deadline: 6th December, 2023
Please read our Recruitment Regulations before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at email@example.com.