The Digital Industry Center is one of the Centers of the Bruno Kessler Foundation (FBK). It focuses its research on digital technologies for the various domains in industry (e.g., manufacturing, aerospace, railway, automotive, energy, agriculture, manufacturing) by creating applications for critical systems, adaptive and autonomous systems, advanced perception, diagnostics, quality control and prediction systems. Further research areas include precision farming, robotics, metrology, cultural heritage and geomatics.
The OpenIoT Research Unit focuses its research activities on gaining leading knowledge and supporting the design and creation of innovative, standard-based and interoperable IoT-based solutions. The unit’s main competencies cover enabling technologies for the IoT and developing cutting-edge tools, infrastructural solutions and related reference architectural models at the device, edge, and cloud levels. By using cutting-edge AI-based methodologies, the final objective is to make these devices self-configurable, more autonomous and thus enduring. In particular, research activities focus on the following research topics: (1) Fog/Edge-based IoT services, platforms and infrastructures; (2) Edge analytics through adaptation of AI techniques to embedded devices; (3) IoT Decentralization through Blockchains. Such research and knowledge are complemented by hands-on competencies in relevant application domains and novel use cases, such as precision agriculture and industrial IoT.
More information about the OpenIoT Unit is available at https://openiot.fbk.eu/
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed to promoting gender equality.
The OpenIoT Research Unit is searching for two junior developers that will work in the scope of various research and industrial projects. Specifically:
A. a junior front-end developer that will be involved mainly in the context of the European project AgriFoodTEF (Jan 2023 – Dec 2027), working collaboratively with a small team of developers and software engineers, contributing to the development of the front-ends of cloud-based solutions.
B. a junior backend developer that will work in the scope of various research and industrial projects in close collaboration with the existing team of researchers, research engineers, and developers of the Research Unit to strengthen the scientific research activities in cloud/edge/fog computing and IoT for the Digital Agriculture domain.
The successful candidates are expected to contribute to the following tasks:
- designing, coding, documenting, and debugging software using different technologies in a small development team;
- development of software applications using the MVC paradigm and microservice approach;
- development of frontend interfaces for web and mobile applications using state-of-the-art frameworks (profile A);
- development of backend services for device data collection, storage, and management (profile B).
The Ideal Candidate should have:
- Academic Background in science and engineering fields (e.g., industrial automation, control systems and simulation, physics, math, computer science, computer engineering);
- ability to work in a collaborative environment with a strong commitment to achieving assigned objectives;
- proficiency in at least one traditional programming language (e.g., C/C++, python, java, Golang);
- comfortable with one or more of the following programming paradigms: Object-oriented, Concurrent programming, Functional, and Asynchronous programming;
- hands-on experience with at least one MVC software development framework (e.g., Java Spring, Python Django);
- familiarity with software versioning systems (e.g., Git) and a good understanding of TDD, CI, and CD tools and best practices;
- good communication and relational skills;
- good knowledge of written and spoken English.
Furthermore, the following elements will be positively evaluated:
- good understanding of IoT systems (e.g., communication protocols, hardware and software platforms, and development workflows).
Type of contract: fixed-term contract
Working hours: full-time (38 hours per week)
Duration: 24 months
Start date: January 2023
Gross annual salary: about 26.520 €
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security (SANIFONDS), family-work balance, free training courses, support on bank account opening, discount on public transport, sport, language course fees. More info at https://www.fbk.eu/en/work-with-us/
Workplace: Povo, Trento (Italy)
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by completing the online form (https://hr.fbk.eu/en/jobs). Please make sure that your application contains the following attachments (in pdf format):
- detailed CV;
- cover letter indicating the position of interest (junior front-end developer/backend developer) and why the candidate is suitable for the position.
Application deadline: 11 December 2022
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read our Regulations on the recruitment and selection of fixed-term personnel (effective from October 15, 2018) before completing your application.