The position is opened by the Embedded Systems Research Unit (ES Unit) of the Digital Industry Center of FBK. The ES Unit consists of about 30 people, including researchers, post-docs, PhD students, Master Students, and programmers. The Unit carries out basic and applied research, tool development and technology transfer in the field of formal methods, model-based design for complex embedded systems and automated planning and scheduling.
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed in promoting gender equality.
The open research position is in the field of automated planning and scheduling. The expected activities include the development of novel temporal planning and/or scheduling techniques based on heuristic search, machine learning and Satisfiability Modulo theories and their integration in real-world systems including robotic applications and flexible manufacturing environments; monitoring and execution components for autonomous systems; software development of prototypical integrated solutions; training support, and document generation for technology transfer.
The candidate is expected to work in collaboration with other researchers, programmers, and students involved in the unit. Moreover, the candidate is expected also to interact with industrial partners and partners of research projects.
The ideal candidate should have:
- PhD in computer science, mathematics or electronic engineering or equivalent 3yrs research experience;
- Software development skills (preferably in C++ and Python);
- Ability to carry out an independent research program;
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and deliver in research and/or industrial projects;
- Accuracy, proactivity and goal orientation;
- Oral and written proficiency in English.
In depth previous experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Automated Planning (e.g. PDDL planners);
- Scheduling/Constraint Programming/Mixed Integer Linear Programming;
- Robotic deliberation and execution;
- Runtime verification and model-based diagnosis;
- Model Checking or other formal verification techniques.
Type of contract: Fixed term contract
Working hours: full time
Start date: October 2021
Duration: 2 years
Gross annual salary: about 39.500 €
Workplace: Povo, Trento (Italy).
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation etc., supplementary pension and health found, training courses, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at https://www.fbk.eu/en/work-with-us/
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by clicking on "Apply online" in the end of this page. Please make sure that your application contains the following attachments (in pdf format):
- Detailed CV;
- Motivational letter;
- 3 professional references (e-mails and/or phone numbers).
Application deadline: 8 August, 2021
Please read our Recruitment Regulations before completing your application.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.