The Digital Industry Center focuses its research on digital technologies for the manufacturing industry by creating applications for critical systems, adaptive and autonomous systems, advanced perception, diagnostics and prediction systems. Further research areas include digital agriculture, cultural heritage (in particular 3D modeling) and geomatics. The Center is one of the KET Technology Centers within the KET4CP project, identified and registered by the European Commission. It collaborates with the European Space Agency (ESA) and with numerous institutions and multinational companies on strategic projects with a high innovation content.
The position is opened by the Embedded Systems Research Unit (ES Unit) of the Digital Industry Center of FBK. The ES Unit consists of about 30 people, including researchers, post-docs, PhD students, Master Students, and programmers. The Unit carries out basic and applied research, tool development and technology transfer in the field of formal methods and model-based design for complex embedded systems.
The open PostDoc position is in the field of predictive maintenance for industrial applications in the framework of several research and technology transfer projects. The successful candidate shall carry out research activities in the field of predictive maintenance applied to the analysis of complex critical designs. The candidate is expected to perform activities related to the following research topics:
- Development of a scalable and generic infrastructure for condition monitoring and predictive maintenance of industrial devices and systems. Different level of analysis (digital signal processing, feature extraction, trend modeling) are required to correlate sensor data with proper abstract states in order to drive machine learning algorithms and/or statistical modeling algorithms in predicting the evolution of a system (e.g. future faults, remaining useful lifetime, …).
- Development of techniques and tools for combining data driven and model based reasoning in order to implement algorithms for condition monitoring based on physical measurements (vibrations, sound, temperature, pressure, current absorption…) and symbolic information (domain knowledge, process states, fault typologies…).
- Development of novel techniques for combining model based reasoning with machine learning to reduce the learning phase, and to improve the quality of the answer generated by the machine learning algorithms, with applications in predictive maintenance, reliability, availability, maintainability, safety and security of data.
- Development of techniques and tools for the automated synthesis of run-time monitor for diagnosis and prognosis, and techniques and tools for model-based synthesis of drivers connecting application to sensors and enriching sensors with meta-data.
The candidate is expected to work in collaboration with other researchers, programmers, and students involved in the project. Moreover, the candidate is expected also to interact with industrial partners and to spend some time at industrial partner premises.
The ideal candidate should have:
- PhD in computer science, mathematics or electronic engineering;
- Software development skills (preferably in Python, Matlab, C++/Java);
- Ability to carry out an independent research program;
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment and deliver in research and/or industrial projects;
- Accuracy, proactivity and goal orientation;
- Oral and written proficiency in English.
In depth previous experience in at least one of the following areas:
- Predictive Maintenance
- Machine Learning and Deep Neural Networks
- Digital Signal Processing
- Logic and Symbolic Model Checking
- Temporal Logics and Property Specification Languages
- Formal Specification and Analysis of Architectures
Type of contract: Fixed term contract
Working hours: full time
Duration: 2 years
Start date: March 2021 (due to the Covid-19 emergency situation, the opportunity to start the activity remotely will be considered)
Gross annual salary: about 39.500 €
Workplace: Povo, Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation etc., supplementary pension and health found, training courses, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at www.welfarefbk.info.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by completing the online form (https://jobs.fbk.eu/). Please make sure that your application contains the following attachments (in pdf format):
- Detailed CV;
- Motivational letter;
- 3 professional references (e-mails and/or phone numbers).
Application deadline: 1st February 2021
Please read our Recruitment Regulations before completing your application.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at email@example.com.