FBK-IRVAPP is a research institute based in Trento (Italy). Its scientific mission includes the evaluation of public policies, as well as the dissemination of findings from this research, the promotion of a culture of policy evaluation and the training of policy evaluators and policy makers. FBK-IRVAPP is part of FBK – Foundation Bruno Kessler.
The empirical work at the institute is mostly based on the counterfactual analysis of the causal effects of public policies and on microsimulations using administrative data. The current research activities include the analysis of public policies and programs in the areas of education, labor market, industrial and innovation policy, welfare and social policy. The institute is interested in expanding its portfolio to other themes, including environmental and health policies.
The Institute invites applications from researchers possessing a good experience in the field listed above and counterfactual impact evaluation of public policies to contribute to its institutional activity.
The purpose of FBK’s Tenure Track program is focused on pursuing a structured career path in order to become tenured researchers and contribute to the long-term strategy of the organization.
IRVAPP is looking for a research fellow to be employed in the field of public finance with a particular emphasis on local public finance.
The candidate is expected to:
- Conduct research activities in coordination with the Director.
- Writing and publishing reports as well as journal and conference papers describing the work that has been done.
- Present results at scientific meetings and conferences, as well as to public administrators and policy makers.
- Work closely with the Director and other senior researchers in specific projects.
- Contribute to the research fund raising activities and the preparation of bids for competitive national and international calls.
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed to promoting gender equality.
The ideal candidate should have:
- PhD in social sciences (Economics, Political Sciences, Sociology).
- Good experience of using quantitative research methods to analyze public finances, in particular at the local level.
- Expertise in tax-benefit microsimulation models, with a specific focus on EUROMOD.
- Strong knowledge of statistical modelling and methods for the evaluation of public policies.
- Excellent working knowledge of Stata and, possibly, other statistical packages for quantitative analysis such as R, SAS or SPSS.
- Excellent communication (speaking and writing) skills in English and Italian and interpersonal skills to work effectively in a team, as well as independently.
- Interest and experience in the analysis of public spending or revenues, as well as in the evaluation of fiscal policies or cost benefits analysis of public policies.
- Good understanding of general methodological issues related to policy impact evaluation and the experimental method.
- Good knowledge of the statistical problems related to public finance analysis and the specification of microsimulation models.
- Knowledge of the public finance literature.
- Experience in organizing academic workshops or similar events.
- Good programming skills.
- Commitment to rigorous scientific research.
- Time management, planning and organizational skills.
Type of contract: Tenure Track contract, leading to an FBK 3rd Level Researcher (R3) permanent contract.
Duration: The maximum duration of the Tenure Track contract is up to 5 years (which may be reduced depending on the assessment by the Committee of the candidate’s capacities and skills). If the final assessment of the Tenure Track experience is positive, the selected candidate for the tenure track position will be offered a permanent full-time contract.
Gross annual salary: about 41.400 €, plus objectives achievement bonus.
Work hours: full time (38 h per week)
Start date: February 2024
Workplace: Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security, etc., training courses, reduced bank account opening fees, public transport, sports facilities, language courses fees. Further details at https://www.fbk.eu/en/work-with-us/.
Candidates are required to submit their applications by filling in the webform available at https://jobs.fbk.eu/.
Please ensure that your application includes the following attachments (.pdf format):
- full CV (including the name of two referees);
- list of publications;
- research statement.
Application deadline: 4th of December 2023
Please read our Regulations “Guidelines for Tenure Track positions” and Tenure Track FAQ before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at email@example.com.