The Digital Industry Center (DIcenter) focuses its research on digital technologies for the manufacturing industry by creating design techniques and applications for critical systems, adaptive and autonomous systems, advanced perception, diagnostics and prediction systems. Further application areas include digital agriculture and cultural heritage. The Center is one of the KET Technology Centers within the KET4CP project, identified and registered by the European Commission. It collaborates with the European Space Agency (ESA) and with numerous institutions and multinational companies on strategic projects with a high innovation content.
The Data Science for Industry and Physics (DSIP) Research Unit focuses on applying Data Science methodologies and approaches for the development of machine learning based predictive models from heterogeneous data. DSIP is actively collaborating with industrial partners, research organizations and public institutions.
In the earth and climate sector, DSIP is involved in projects ranging from machine learning applied to spatiotemporal data for weather nowcasting and forecasting, Earth System Modeling, statistical downscaling, data quality and anomaly detection of observations. The result of the research is applied in downstream applications involving the development and the deployment of operational weather forecast systems, early warning platforms and open-source software packages in collaboration with other research institutions, public bodies, private enterprises and non-profit organizations at the regional, national and European level.
FBK is looking for a candidate to cover a 3-year position with a dynamic, highly motivated, researcher in the field of machine learning for weather forecasting and earth system modeling for the DSIP Unit of DIcenter.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- perform scientific research in the area of physics constrained and physics informed machine learning modeling, explainable machine learning and spatiotemporal forecasting with deep learning techniques;
- contribute to the application of data science and machine learning methods in the field of Weather Forecasting and Earth System Modeling;
- collaborate with the strategic activities and projects within the Digital Industry center.
The candidate will work in collaboration with other researchers of the DSIP Unit and of the Digital Industry Center, as well as with partners involved in DSIP projects.
The Ideal Candidate should have
- PhD Degree (or 3 years of equivalent post-master experience in applied research) in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or related disciplines;
- good grasping of theoretical and practical computer science fundamentals (databases, computational complexity, Unix environment);
- proven experience in python stack for scientific programming (numpy, pandas, jupyter, scikit-learn) and deep learning (pytorch, keras, tensorflow, jax);
- good experience in full-stack development of AI solutions (data collection, data ingestion, data preparation, models, validation and deployment);
- previous experience in numerical weather modeling/parametrization and earth system modeling is considered a plus;
- previous experience in geographical data analysis (GIS) and modeling is considered a plus;
- oral and written proficiency in English, knowledge of Italian considered a plus;
- proven experience in team working and participation in international projects;
- demonstrated involvement in people supporting and mentoring;
- good attitude in working on multidisciplinary problems.
- Good communication and relational skills;
- self-motivation and ability to complete tasks systematically;
- organization skills;
- goal orientation and flexibility.
FBK actively seeks diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is also committed to promoting gender equality.
Type of contract: fixed term contract
Duration: 3 years
Working hours: full time (38 h per week).
Gross annual salary: about 39.500 €
Start date: September 2022
Workplace: Povo, Trento (Italy).
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome
office support for visa formalities and for research in accommodation, social security (SANIFONDS), family-work balance, free training courses, support on bank account opening, discount on public transport, sport, language course fees, counseling and psychological support service. Further details at https://www.fbk.eu/en/work-with-us/.
Interested candidates are requested to submit their application by completing the online form (https://jobs.fbk.eu/). Please make sure that your application contains the following attachments (in pdf format):
- Detailed CV including list of scientific publications;
- Motivation letter;
- Email address contact for two referees.
Application deadline: 4th of August, 2022
New Application deadline: 11th of August, 2022
Please read the Regulations on the recruitment and selection before applying.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at firstname.lastname@example.org