The Bruno Kessler Foundation is a private research institution based in Trento (Italy) and operating in different scientific fields and disciplines. As such, it has the role of keeping the Autonomous Province of Trento within the mainstream of international research. FBK is made up of seven research centers, whose activities and production are available at http://www.fbk.eu/research-centers
The FBK Center for Information Technology is an international research center that conducts high-level research activities impacting both the market and society, providing practical demonstration of the added value of research through the development of systems, experimental validations, industrial applications, and social initiatives. These goals place FBK-ICT in a unique position in the international scientific arena, differing from universities, which are primarily devoted to theoretical development, and from applied research centers, which are mainly devoted to technology transfer. More information about ICT is available at http://ict.fbk.eu .
The “Mobile and Social Computing Lab” (MobS) is a research unit focused on building predictive and computational approaches to human behavior understanding using the newly ubiquitous digital data that are becoming available about all aspects of human life (e.g. mobile phone data, credit card transactions, social media, etc.).
The group, launched in January 2014, brings together researchers, post-doc fellows, and Ph.D. students with experience in different fields such as computational social science, computational psychology, urban computing, machine learning, and network science.
FBK invites applications for a research position in the area of Computational Social Science. The candidate must have proven skills in modeling and analyzing big amount of behavioral data (e.g. mobile phone data, credit card transactions, data collected from wearable sensors, social media, etc.), recognized scientific experience at international level and significant expertise with machine learning and/or network science techniques.
The successful candidate will also have strong mathematical and statistical bases and strong computational skills. The candidate is expected to contribute to the development of novel models and analytical tools to study human dynamics at the edge of Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistical Physics and Social Sciences.
The candidate is expected to work in team, coordinate junior collaborators (Ph.D. students, post-doc fellows), help developing innovative research activities in the area of Computational Social Science, collaborating with academic and industrial partners of the lab (e.g. MIT, Vodafone Research, Northeastern University, Oxford University, etc.), and contribute to scientific dissemination through journal papers and conference talks.
- Ph.D. degree in Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering or related areas.
- A proved international research experience in Computational Social Science and experience also in Network Science and/or Machine Learning.
- Strong programming skills (i.e. Python) and experience with big data tools (Spark, Hadoop).
- Proficiency with statistical and mathematical software (R, Matlab, etc.);
- A strong record of high-level scientific publications in top multidisciplinary journals and/or computational social science journals and conferences;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Enthusiasm about learning new methods, computing tools & technologies.
- Ability to work both independently and in team.
- Very good communication and relational skills.
- Experience and interest on city science and/or finance and economics challenges.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with industrial and academic partners.
- Commitment to rigorous scientific research.
Type of contract: fixed term contract
Working hours: full time
Gross annual salary: about € 39.303,00 plus bonus
Start date: March/April 2019
Duration: 24 months with possibility of extension.
Place: Povo, Trento (Italy)
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security, etc., reductions on bank account opening fees, public transportation, sport, language course fees. More info at https://www.welfarefbk.info/
Candidates are requested to submit their application through the online form by clicking on "Apply online" at the bottom of this page. Please make sure that your application contains:
- Detailed CV
- Cover Letter (explaining your motivation for the specific position)
- List of publications
- 3 professional references (emails and/or phone numbers)
Application deadline: 4th of March 2019
Please read our Regulations on the recruitment and selection of fixed-term personnel (effective from October 15, 2018) before completing your application.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.